Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Trying to Make a Dollar Out of Fifteen Cents



After 6 years at my company, I was let go. Although I've initally freaked out and went through all the grieving phases, my husband assures me that we are going to be o.k. I get paralyzed when things change. I'm a girl of routine and planning. I can be spontaneous, if I plan it in advance! My calendar is all scribbled and my new ipod touch has all my stuff on the calendar with little reminder alerts routinely popping up.

Not having money coming in is not a good thing for me, a confirmed shopaholic. I am not an "expensive, designer" shopaholic, I'm a bargain, 99 cent store shopaholic. Both kinds end up with lots of stuff I don't need but with the latter, they were cheap or on sale.

It is hard to change this mentality but I am trying. Today, I only bought necessities...well I really needed the red vines! I took Amanda and I to Carl's Jr. because I had 2 coupons for free items, so I spent $1.59 on fries. I got laid off the weekend of our 23rd anniversary and of course we weren't in the mood for going out. I am planning on taking my guy to T.G.I. Fridays for dinner because I have a bogo coupon for Jack Daniel Meal which he loves, a coupon for a free dessert and a $25.00 gift card. If we plan on ordering drinks, then it may go a little over, but most of it will be F-R-E-E!
But you know the saying, when one door closes another one opens. Sunday I was called to participate in a focus group in Long Beach to look at car prototypes for $125. My friend needed me to run her Japanese Antique shop for a few days so she hired me. I just checked my bank balance and I received a refund for something I forgot about. So if this is any indication the way my luck will run, please keep it up.

No comments: